Presales consultants works with prospects and customers to ensure they have a strong understanding of the services and products provided. They possess detailed knowledge about the products, technology or solutions they are supporting the sales team to sell.
The responsibilities differ from organization to organization but in general, include:
- Solution Preparation/Management Proposal based on Customers Requirements
- Product demonstrations
- Proof of Concept Creation
- Creation of Marketing Documents
- ... and any other activity required to generate business
Presales Consultants need to have excellent communication skills, be confident making presentations and have the ability to work closely and collaboratively with different team members. They are often a valuable resource for members of the sales team:
- Working with a sales team to determine solutions to customers’ challenges and supporting the sales team to present proposals to clients;
- Providing demonstrations, presentations, training, consultation and sales support services for the sales team and existing clients;
Areas of a specialty of Presales include:
- Discovery: Uncovering details of business problems that the prospect has. Presales persons closely analyze the prospect's requirements.
- Preparation: Tailoring a prospect specific presentation or software presentation that meets the needs of the prospect.
- Demonstration: A demonstration of the product that specifically addresses the prospects of business problems. It will be done in a manner that highlights an easy method to solve those problems using the tools available within the suite of products.
- Request for Proposal (RFP): Presales have a detailed knowledge of the product suite, in addition to its application to business problems. Presales are frequently involved in technical details in RFP preparation.
- Marketing assistance: Typically the marketing department and presales department align closely. Presales share market feedback with the marketing team. Presales often create technical details for use in marketing collateral.
- Product management assistance: Presales provide unparalleled market feedback to product managers that can be used to influence or provide feedback on product roadmap items.
- Proposal assistance: Given presales were involved in the sale since the discovery of the prospect business problems, they often complete the business analysis and technical component of a sales proposal with case studies and facts.